Thanks to the support and efforts of Her Highness Sheikha Fatima Bint Mubarak, the pioneer of women's efforts in the UAE, and her close follow-up, the General Women's Union has been able to attain several achievements and gains during the course of its work since its establishment in 1975. The General Women's Union has worked hard to translate the government's vision of women's empowerment and leadership in all fields.
From this standpoint, we believe that each of the last four decades of the work of the General Women's Union has been characterized with a certain aspect, given the special requirements and priorities of each. In this context, the course of work of the General Women's Union can be divided as follows:
- First Decade (1975-1985): the era of spiritual, intellectual and social advancement.
- Second Decade (1986-1995): the era of capacity- and skill-building.
- Third Decade (1996-2005): the era of empowerment.
- Fourth Decade (2006 – Now): the era of harvest and pursuit of sustainability.
Following are some prominent stations in the course of work of the General Women's Union:
- Launching the Women Literacy and Education Strategy in the UAE in 1975.
- Joining the Arab Women’s Union in 1975.
- Establishing the Women's Handicraft Centre in 1978.
- Joining the Coordinating Committee for Women's Action in the Gulf and the Arabian Peninsula in 1984.
- Launching the National Productive Families Project in 1997.
- Launching the Fatima Bint Mubarak Award for the Ideal Family in 1997.
- Sponsoring the National Survey of the Characteristics of the UAE Family in 1998.
- Establishing the Child Visitation Office in 2001.
- Launching the UAE National Strategy for the Advancement of Women in 2002.
- Launching the program of strengthening the role of women parliamentarians and women’s political empowerment in 2004.
- Launching the UAE National Gender Mainstreaming Initiative in 2006 in cooperation with the United Nations Development Programme.
- Launching the Women in Technology program in the UAE in cooperation with Microsoft in 2006.
- Her Highness Sheikha Fatima bint Mubarak announcing the 28th of August as the Emirati Women’s Day on November 30, 2014.
- Launching the National Strategy for Emirati Women's Empowerment and Leadership in the UAE in 2015.
- The Women’s Union receiving the first prize for the best government service in social sector within the Government Summit 2015.
- Launching the online interactive platform of the Emirati Women’s Day in August 2016.
- Announcing the establishment of the Development Center for Innovation and Creativity in September 2016.
- Opening the UN Women's Communication Office in October 2016.
- Contributing to the amendment of the maternity leave regulations.
- Joining the Arab Women Organization.